Here is a list of On line video tutorials from Lynda.com That focus on teaching the Foundations of Programming. I highly recommend them for anyone who is learning to code, or at the start of the exciting journey of learning programming.
The Lynda.com Tutorial Foundations of Programming: Programming for Kids with David Gassner is especially relevant for parents or teachers/ educators who are looking to help teach children computer programming and coding, which as the tutorial shows, is a fun thing to learn. Yes programming is fun and that tutorial really shows how much fun it can be.
There are a lot of resources out there when it comes to learning how to code, and they vary immensely in terms of quality, relevance and presentation. I have found certain books and publishers to be better than others and certain online tutorial providers better than others. You have to pay a subscription fee to view course on Lynda.com but it is really worth it. I found these courses had the best presenters.
I hope you find the list and tutorials as useful as I have.
- Foundations of Programming: Programming for Kids with David Gassner
- Foundations of Programming: Fundamentals with Simon Allardice
- Foundations of Programming: Object-Oriented Design with Simon Allardice
- Foundations of Programming: Refactoring Code with Simon Allardice
- Foundations of Programming: Test-Driven Development with Simon Allardice
- Foundations of Programming: Databases with Simon Allardice
- Git Essential Training with Kevin Skoglund
- HTML Essential Training with Bill Weinman
- CSS Fundamentals with James Williamson
- PHP with MySQL Essential Training with Kevin Skoglund
I have also found CodeAcademy to be a really useful and fun interactive way to learn programming.